Monday, October 29, 2012

Easy Fabric Bow

This tutorial will help you make this beautiful fabric bow! These are my new favorite not only because they are easy, but I think they look great too! You will need a sewing machine for this one.

You will also need:
-scissors
-fabric in any color
-headband elastic
-glue gun
-sewing machine
- little jewels (optional) you could use buttons or any other trinket you have laying around.

First, cut a long strip of fabric about two inches wide and a little less than a yard long. It doesn't have to be exact. Scallop one edge of the fabric like this. I folded my strip first and cut through a couple layers. Just make sure you don't cut it apart. You want it to stay in one piece.

Now run the fabric strip through your sewing machine for one long stitch on the non-scalloped side. Set your sewing machine length to the largest number. Mine is 4. This is how you make a ruffle. (I learned how to do this over the summer when I was making curtains and a bed skirt for my daughter's room. It is so easy and looks cute in so many projects!)

Once you have the stitch, flip it over and pull the string from underneath. You will see the loops. Be careful not to pull to hard or you will break the thread. Keep pulling the fabric down the thread until the whole strip is ruffled. 

It will curl up, which is ok because you will be swirling it up anyways.
Now use your glue gun to begin twisting it into a stack. I start by putting glue on the end (along the stitch) and then twisting it to form the top of the bow. Since this is the top, you may want to play with it before putting glue on it because this will be the main part you see. 

Keep twisting and glueing. Make each layer fan out a little more so you can see the petals. 

Once you have a completed stack of layers, open up the sides and add glue to make the flower secure and from flopping open in the wind. I like to pinch the whole flower to make sure all the glue adheres. 


Once the flower is all glued, trim any exposed thread off. Glue the jewels or buttons in the middle of the flower. This is a great way to hide the beginning seam.


Now make the head band. I like this elastic headband material because you can cut it and make different sizes and get more than one out of the package. I have only found it at Michael's. 


Measure and cut the elastic. My daughter is 3 months and I made hers about 15 inches. It's better to be bigger than too small because their heads grow so fast! Glue the ends together. 

Glue the headband to the flower. I like to glue down the seam, so the band looks seamless. Pick up the sides of the headband and add glue to make the headband and flower secure. 

Viola! You just made a beautiful fabric bow. Make sure you let it cool before trying it on! 

Try different colors and different jewels in the middle. I'd love to see what you create!

No comments:

Post a Comment